Take advantage of the soon-to-be-gone warm days of fall and hit Millstone Creek Park in Westerville. This is the amusement park of all parks located on the corner of Spring and Maxtown Roads. Seriously, I could not believe my eyes when I saw the enormous play gym, the plethora of swings, the large natural looking sandbox, the small pond and creek for skipping stones, and my favorite – the NEOS 360 music game. NEOS 360 is basically a life-sized sequence game complete with techno, salsa, and rock beats. The kids love to challenge themselves to a little Simon (yes, I just dated myself) or just dance to the tunes.
The park has plenty of picnic benches or places to throw a blanket down for lunch, tons of parking, bathrooms nearby, water fountains, and pathways for a walk. The play area is a short walk over a wooden bridge from the parking lot, and alleviates lugging lunch and the diaper bag all over the place while your kids play. If you get time before it gets too cold, check it out.
745 N Spring Rd.
Westerville, Ohio 43082
If you go:
- Bring lunch and stay a while or hit Mellow Mushroom (located just west of the park on Maxtown Road on the north side of the street) before or after the park.
- Dress appropriately. I always dress the kids in layers and then peel them off as they play and get warm.
- Think about an extra change of clothes. My daughter rather enjoyed making sand angels, and some of that lovely sand ended up in my car. There is also a creek and pond – just sayin’, if your kid likes skipping stones they will probably skip the “keeping dry” part as well.
- Sunglasses and sunscreen. There is no shade on the playground. The picnic bench area is covered offering shade and shelter in case of inclement weather.
- Other helpful write-ups so you know what to expect: The Dispatch and Columbus Parent Magazine.